Helpful Resources

    International students studying in Alberta:

    For services and information please visit:

    Health & Wellness

    Health care coverage information for foreign students from Alberta Health services.

    Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP)

    International students can be eligible for AHCIP coverage by fulfilling the following criteria:

    • Students with a 12-month study permit (valid for an Alberta educational institution) and who will reside in Alberta for 12 months or more are eligible for AHCIP coverage and should apply.
    • Students with a study permit valid for more than 3 months but less than 12 months may be eligible for AHCIP coverage if they submit a letter confirming their intent to reside in Alberta for at least 12 months.
    • Students under 18 years of age must be added to the AHCIP account of a custodian.

    For detailed AHCIP eligibility requirements, please refer to the complete guidelines.

    It is essential to note that AHCIP does not cover all medical expenses, such as dental care, prescription medication, and physiotherapy. Additional health insurance coverage is necessary for these costs, both for yourself and any accompanying family members. Please consult the comprehensive list of what AHCIP covers.


    At present, Alberta Paramount College lacks provisions for on-campus living arrangements or student housing choices. Students seeking accommodation in Calgary while pursuing their studies have various alternatives available, such as home rentals, homestays, hostels, and additional options. To aid you in initiating your search, here are several useful local resources.

    • Home,, – Rentals,,,,
    •,, – Homestays,,,
    •,, – Hostels

    Laws for Tenants in Alberta:

    Housing and Health Standards:

    Calgary Legal Council (Dial-A-Law):


    Calgary boasts a commendable local metro transportation system that efficiently covers the entire city. For students who have been accepted into the Fair Entry Program, there are subsidized rates available. To apply for the Fair Entry Program, please click here.

    Detailed information regarding local transportation can be found by clicking here.

    Additionally, if you prefer to book an Uber taxi, you can easily do so by downloading the app on your smartphone

    Health Insurance Policy at Alberta Paramount College & Coverage for Personal Health Care

    In Canada, medical expenses can be costly. All international students at Alberta Paramount College are required to obtain personal health insurance while studying in the country. This entails applying for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) to receive standard coverage and acquiring supplemental private health insurance for services not covered by AHCIP or for students ineligible for AHCIP.

    Private Health Insurance Plans

    Students who are ineligible for AHCIP coverage must obtain a private insurance plan through an insurance company or agent, either in their home country or upon arrival in Canada. You can find a list of private insurance plans available. In the event that you arrive in Canada without insurance coverage, authorized medical insurance providers can assist you if you apply within five days of arrival.

    When to Apply for Alberta Health Care

    It is crucial to apply for AHCIP coverage within three months of your moving date:

    • If your application is received within three months of your arrival, your coverage will start on either the date of your arrival in Alberta or the date indicated on your study permit, whichever is later.
    • Failure to register with AHCIP within the first three months of your residency in Alberta will result in Alberta Health and Wellness determining the effective date of your coverage.

    You need to apply for this insurance for yourself and any accompanying family members. Students under 18 years of age must be added to the AHCIP account of a custodian. Individuals with temporary immigration documents who are uncertain about their eligibility for coverage should contact Alberta Health directly.

    Contact Alberta Health for further inquiries:

    Mental Health

    Access Mental Health:

    Calgary Mental Health Association:

    Distress Centre:

    Calgary Counselling Centre:

    Calgary Communities Against Sexual Abuse:

    Rehab Spot:

    Important Local Phone Numbers


    For City of Calgary information or to request a service within city limits:

    • Report concerns such as excessive snow or ice on roadways, back lanes, or sidewalks.
    • Report non-working streetlamps
    • Noise complaints
    311 offers language translation services for more than 200 languages, if you state the name of your language in English a translator will be provided.


    ‍For information about community or social resources available in Calgary. This includes , social, food and mental health support. Free and confidential translation services are available.


    ‍For physical or mental health information and advice provided by a registered nurse. The nurse will be able to diagnose your illness but will tell you if you should seek medical treatment or try treatment at home. Translation services are available.


    911 is an emergency telephone number used in many countries, including the United States and Canada. It is a three-digit number that you can dial to quickly reach emergency services such as police, fire department, or medical assistance. It is important to use the 911 emergency number only in true emergencies where immediate assistance is required.

    Designated Institutional Representative (DIR) Contact

    The Designated Institutional Representative (DIR) is available to provide support and information regarding various aspects, including:

    • Academic & College services
    • Housing information
    • Basic immigration information related to student visas, work permits, etc.
    • Career advice and guidance for changes to your study plan
    • Assistance with challenges you may face in your classes, program, student life, or outside the college.
    Farooq Ahmad

    Alberta Paramount College

    Designated Institutional Representative (DIR)


    Phone: Off: +1.403.717.0436

    Cell: +1.403.618.7246

    Student complaint and dispute resolution

    At Alberta Paramount College students are entitled to an educational setting that ensures their safety, security, and facilitates a favorable learning environment while safeguarding them against any form of discrimination, harassment, humiliation, or harm. Additionally, their privacy should be protected in accordance with college policies and privacy laws.

    If an enrolled student has any complaint, it will be addressed to the College Registrar in writing. International students can send a copy to the designated institution representative at the address mentioned above.

    Incase student is not satisfied with the resolution or suggestion by the college registrar student has the right to appeal to the college president. College president will forward this complain to the disciplinary committee which include members of teaching staff, administration, and student representative, they will review all the facts and suggest recommendation to the president.

    Karen Whalen

    Registrar Alberta Paramount College


    Office: 403-717-0436

    Nasreen Siddiqui

    President Alberta Paramount College


    Office: 403.717.0436